-->

Monday 23 April 2018

Major Project - Taste - Joe development

Firstly, here's a design I forgot to include in the previous post. Again, whilst I think there's some merit here, it just felt far too 2D. Although I'm happy with the painting on the jacket, I've really been trying to improve my painting over the course and recently have changed the default brushes I've been using and found myself escaping the plateau I'd found myself in.

There was a sort-of eureka moment during the design process, where I wasn't really satisfied with my previous designs and went back to my pinterest album I'd created to gather ideas. 



One illustration in particular stood out to me, featured below. 


I think it was after looking at this where I really found my feet with the style I wanted to shoot for, as although there's some flatness here, it's effective, likewise the large eyes and slight "Disney" vibe they give off was really appealing to me. Leading me to draw the above image as a response. Then, sufficiently satisfied, I took the designs and began trying to work out colours that would be striking to further push the idea of a vibrant 2.5D world. Whilst doing this I also began trying to work out the side view of the characters head. Starting off very abnormal and honing it in later drawings. 






I then moved on to designing a new body for the new art direction. And for some reason decided to draw incredibly thick necks. I'm still a little confused about why exactly, but as you can see, later on I began to fix the proportions in order to make myself look less like I've exclusively worked my neck out. 


I decided that this style was far too 'soft' and worked on trying to achieve that rigid low poly look after this, which I'll detail in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment