-->

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Lighting And Rendering 2: Samples & Quality Control

I experienced some difficulty with this tutorial as I was either using the wrong version of Mental Ray or Maya. Ultimately I had to be creative towards the end of the tutorial as I wasn't getting the same results as Alan, despite triple checking everything.



I settled on lowering the Anti-aliasing contrast in order to achieve a greater amount of blurring on the raytraced shadows as it seemed to be the only thing I could do to make them look less grainy. Below is the final render of this tutorial. 


2 comments:

  1. I think it may have something to do with Mental Ray overall, because I had a similar problem...even after restarting the tutorial several times on different computers both at home and at uni. Could be because in 2017 they scrap Mental Ray for Arnold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I figured as much, It was hard enough getting a version of Mental Ray that would be recognised by my version of Maya. Then it had me trying to translate the differences between this version and the version in the tutorial too.

      Delete